artwork by Carol Seeley

MASTER OF THE SKIES by Carol Seeley

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sunrise/Sunset: Coreen Zerr, Paulette Cornish




..................................................................................


Sunrise/Sunset
detail
Statement:
Sunrise/Sunset
Representative
Coreen Zerr
A serene sunset scene on a beach on Vancouver Island inspired this piece.
Techniques: strip piecing, thread play.
Techniques:
Strip piecing is a favourite construction method of mine so it was a natural progression for me to strip piece this beautiful sunset. I also created this piece while on retreat on beautiful Quadra Island which is a very inspiring setting.

Process:

These photos were taken at Homewood on Quadra Island while I was on retreat there and worked on the entry to Abstraction. As My husband I were travelling south for the winter the push was on to finish this at retreat so I could hand it over to Paulette Cornish to do the abstracted version for the show. I panicked that I had made it much to wide for the size requirements and was worried I had to cut it off where I have placed the green masking tape. Luckily on of the gals had an Ipad with internet service that looked up the entry requirements and saved it before I chopped it off too short- I had the right width all along!!!!! Close call though........


...................................................................


Sunrise/Sunset
Paulette Cornish




detail
Statement: Sunrise/Sunset
Abstract

Paulette Cornish
Geometric simplification of the architecture of the coastal mountains contrasted against the strong horizontal lines of the sea and sky is a principle objective.  Inclusion of the wharf is an unsettling reminder of man's encroachment upon nature.

Techniques: Machine-Pieced, Machine Quilted, Machine Appliquéd, Hand Appliquéd.

Process:
My purposes for my piece are:
1. An Ansell Adams black and white piece(shades of grey really).
2. Geometrics shapes for the landscape.(Lauren Harris’s pieces)
3. A study of value in the different parts of the sky and sea.
4. Make the values distinct and linear.

5. A quiet piece with as little quilting as possible so as not to disturb the basic visual elements.
CREATIVITY IS A MESSY BUSINESS IN MY STUDIO!
DECISIONS TO BE MADE:
-  ISLANDS-silk; shape; size
- Value and fabric decisions, size of strips Bronze foil; gold foil
- Silk--love the feel and the nubby quality of it! 
PROBLEMS! 
One cotton fabric would not sew flat without wrinkles; sewed,cut,recut, sewed 5 times...little of it left but it seemed to always be on the bias.  Bought an iron that would not steam!  So dry ironed rest of time!        

No comments:

Post a Comment